Sunday, July 1, 2012

Back in England - 1 more week till home

Good morning - I'm back here in Brighton today - I've spent the last two nights down here after getting back from Ireland and playing a show on Friday night at a little place in town called the Tic Toc Cafe. It's been fun still and it's going to be very strange to be back in California next week - back to work. Later today I'm heading back up to London - try to see some music an meet up with some friends.
The trip to Ireland was pretty amazing. My hotel room for the last two nights was in a good spot - close to the City Centre - and it made walking home from the Temple Bar area quick and easy - with was a good thing, especially since on the second night after the bars were closing, the rain started coming down. So I made it safe and fast back to my room.
There was just so much to see while in Dublin and I walked around the city trying to take it all in. That first night in Dublin I went into one of the bars to watch the Euro 12 football match between Spain and Portugal. I've watched a lot of football over here - everyone is so into it - and too bad England didn't do better. So the bar was crowded with people watching - and right after it was over the music started up.
I watched for a while and was about to go out to another bar when I heard music from the 2nd floor. So I headed up and it was another group playing more traditional music. They were good so I stuck around. Then they had some Irish dancers do their thing in the 11 o'clock hour. I heard more music downstairs so I went to check it out and there was a whole crowd down there hanging out.
So I stayed the whole time there - which wasn't what I was planning on but it's what happened. I went to the different floors throughout the rest of the night until 3 - and the rain was coming down. But like I said, my hotel room wasn't too far away - about a 10 minute walk - and there were plenty of people still out - walking around - so I felt fairly safe - and I crashed out and caught up on sleep.
It was 12:30 by the time I got up - which I was surprised by - but I hadn't slept all that well the first night. I got myself together and went out walking - down through Grafton Street and into St. Stephen's Green Park - it was a nice sunny day and lots of people were out enjoying the sun.
That evening I was planning to head up to the seaside town called Skerries to see a band called I See Hawks In LA - who were over doing a tour of Ireland and England. I had seen them a bunch of times in LA and was looking forward to seeing some fellow Angelenos - and enjoy some great music - West Coast country rock.
I caught the train and rolled out of Dublin - I put on Van Morrison's Astral Weeks - watched the Irish landscape flash by - fields of green, houses on hills, roads and cars, lakes, and in the distance to the east, the sea.
Skerries was a nice little town and it was an easy walk from the train station to the town center. There were two windmills in view from the road, and I found the bar Raff's On The Corner quite easily. Since I got there early I took a walk along the coast line and it was quite an amazing view - very beautiful to see as the sun was going down.
By the time I made it back it was almost time for the music to start, although there was a game on - Germany versus Italy - and sort of surprising Italy won (I had heard several people saying that they expected Germany to win the whole thing - and not just from the German people I had encountered).Then I saw the band take their places, I said a hello, and sat down and enjoyed the night of music in that little Irish town.
Since the trains had stopped at a certain hour, I ended up taking the bus, the last bus into town. I sat up on the top and watched as we passed through the quiet little towns on the way back to Dublin. It was quite nice.
When I got back it was about 1:30am and was still in the mood for another pint so I headed back to the Temple Bar - walked past the old Post Office where in the 1916 the Irish declared their independence from Britain - they have a stone inscription with the declaration in the window. It's where they had a stand off with the British army on Easter that year - I guess there are still bullet holes in the pillars.
After a couple rounds I was ready for bed since I knew I had to be up early to catch a plane back to London.
The flight back was easy and then I headed down to Brighton where I was going to be playing a show in a cafe with my friend Birte. I was tired and wanted to take a nap but I never got the opportunity. We walked down to the cafe, passing through the narrow Lanes and got ready to play. The cafe was cozy and some people showed up - and we had a good night playing - good food, good wine, good friends.
I ended up staying another night down in Brighton and am just making my way back out to where I'm staying in Enfield. I've got to take the tube and then a short train ride, drop my stuff off, and then head back to the east side of London for a music festival.
I'm looking forward to playing a proper 45 minute set on Tuesday at The 12 Bar Club in Soho. I'm hoping some of my new friends make it out - I'll be on around 7:30 and then there are 3 more acts to follow - so we'll see.
I've got to head out now
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
Along the river bank in Dublin
Photobucket
A monument to the lost sailors
Photobucket
Watching the match between Spain and Portugal
Photobucket
The 2nd floor of the bar in the Temple Bar
Photobucket
The 1st floor of the same bar
Photobucket
Trinity College
Photobucket
Street kids playing on Grafton Street in Dublin
Photobucket
Along the river banks - looking east
Photobucket
Skerries
Photobucket
Along the coast line
Photobucket
the Skerries harbor
Photobucket
Boats in the harbor
Photobucket
Fishing on the docks
Photobucket
Looking out to the Islands off the coast
Photobucket
Looking south from the peninsula
Photobucket
Along the walk way
Photobucket
Incredible cloud formations across the sky
Photobucket
Further south along the walk way
Photobucket
Photobucket
Looking north to the peninsula
Photobucket
I See Hawks In LA at Raff's On The Corner in Skerries, Dublin County
Photobucket
James Joyce statue
Photobucket
Arthur and the Irrational (Birte on guitar and Rose on accordion) at the Tic Toc Cafe
Photobucket
The hill that leads to Holland Street - where I was staying
Photobucket
The Howdle's - Birte, Jack (looking away from the camera), Sam, and Aaron
Photobucket
Enjoying a sun deck and a pint while overlooking Brighton

No comments: