Thursday, August 11, 2016

August In LA

Last year in August I was in the Southwest. I had a weekly gig on Thursdays playing in Taos, New Mexico at the Taos Inn. It was an awesome time. I had also booked other gigs in the area - and not so much in the area too. In the early part of the month I did some shows in Arizona, and then headed east to Albuquerque. I did a few shows in Colorado and then every Thursday made it back to Taos. Towards the end of the month I went up to Salt Lake City and then into Montana. It was a wonderful month.
This year, though, I'm staying in California. My touring vehicle died on the road at the end of May and I haven't replaced it. So I'm kind of stuck in Los Angeles. I did do a big road trip in July and I rented a car for that. I drove 4.5K miles in 9 days. It was a very busy run through the western states - not too much down time at all - and so much driving. I was able to go through my beloved Flagstaff and into New Mexico - up to Colorado - further north to Idaho - and then up and across into Montana. Summer in Montana is wonderful and I was glad that the place in Livingston asked me to come up and play.
So here we are in August and it's time to get some work done. I do have some shows that don't require much driving, which obviously is good. The work that I'm talking about is getting a new album recorded. I have the songs - songs that I've been writing over the past couple years. I just haven't had the time to get them down and recorded properly. I was hoping to get a new album recorded at the beginning of the year. I had the month of January where I was staying in LA and I had tried to get funds together in December, but crowd funding in December isn't the best time to do that. I know that now. When I got back home in June - car-less and a little depressed - I used my free time to record demos and I was able to get around 15 completed and it brought into sight how the album would feel. Since then I've been making adjustments here and there and the album is coming to life. It's going to be called, These Motel Days.
When I went through Denver last month I was able to pick up my cousin's recording system and since I've been home I have started the recording process. It's going to take a bit of time - I need to get Matt, the drummer for Jeremiah and the Red Eyes - over to the house so I can record some drums tracks - I need through these next few gigs and then get my gear set up so I can just jump into recording. I'm looking forward to getting it all done - although I do love recording - but there's still a lot to do. I started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the new album. I have now just under 4 weeks to go to raise $3500 which will cover the expenses and get the album out to the world. Please support if you can - and/or pass on the word

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872869174/a-new-album-these-motel-days

I can't wait to get back out on the road too. I'm going to start booking shows for the winter and get a friend or two to travel with me around the West.

8/11 Thursday - Barmel - Carmel-By-The_Sea 7pm
8/13 Saturday - Frogtown Art Walk - Frogtown, Los Angeles 6pm
8/14 Sunday - Adam's Pack Station - Arcadia 1pm
8/20 Saturday - Echo Park Rising - TBA
8/20 Saturday - The Crest Lounge - Temple City (Birthday Show!)
8/21 Sunday - The Escondite Anniversary party - Los Angeles 4pm
8/23 Tuesday - The Escondite - Los Angeles 10pm

Thanks,
yours truly
Jeremiah

Motel sign in Grants, New Mexico

Close to Townsend, Montana - down the road from the campground
Where I left my touring vehicle - just south of Santa Fe, New Mexico - I did get 26K miles out of it in 5 months
Livingston, Montana

No comments: