Friday, November 4, 2011

Arizona trip

Greetings from the road. Right now we're in Cave Creek, Arizona - one of my favorite spots in the state of Arizona. Last night we were up in Flagstaff which is definitely my favorite spot in this state. We played at the Flagstaff Brewing Company which is one of my favorite bars in the country - just a relaxed feel - good beers, friendly people - both patrons and employees.
It's a good feeling when people are expecting you when you show up - and that's how it was last night when we came in. I had sent flyers and I saw them posted on a few of the windows. I've played there several times and I've been building up a fan base which I'm happy about. We set up our gear, got a few beers, and ready to play. We set up in the front window area - where right across Route 66 is the old train station and visitors center. It was chilly outside, but it felt good - not freezing and luckily I had the right clothes.
We slept in today since we got in late - and after the day of driving I know I needed the rest. I could hear the wind blowing hard and there was talk of a storm with snow that was supposed to hit the town sometime today. After we got some breakfast, and gassed up, we head out of town down the 17, passing lots of old memories for me - from when I had a girlfriend there years ago.
We drove by the exit where we she used to live and I looked to see if I could catch a glimpse of her house - the house that I helped put a metal roof way back when - that was such a crazy experience - especially since the hardware store where she ordered the supplies from got the order wrong. So we didn't have enough of some things and the screws were the wrong size, and it became a struggle to get it finished. Overall they are good memories. Her name is Ellen Winter and she's a writer and she has a great book of short stories called The Price You Pay which can be found on Amazon.
Tonight Matthew and I are playing at the North 51 Grill which used to be called the Dirty Drummer and a place that I've been playing for years - ever since my friend Eddie Elliott recommended me to the owner. This might be the last time I play there though since the owner is in the process of selling the bar. I've some good memories of that place too - some strange ones too as you can imagine. So I'm looking forward to this set this evening.
Tomorrow we head down to Tucson for the end of this run, and then head back to LA to play at The Cinema Bar - my home stage. I'm happy to be back on the road again - and going through some of my favorite cities.
I'll write more later,
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket Flagstaff Brewing Co. - in between sets Photobucket The Monte Vista - midday in Flagstaff Photobucket Sedona off in the distance

No comments: