Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Fourth of July - Day 33 and Day 34

So it has been a little bit of a pain not to have internet access at the house, but oh well. Today I'm back at the local spot, Nora's - enjoying a mellow post-Fourth of July morning. The temperature has come down quite a bit and I'm definitely thankful for that. There were several storms that rolled across the area on Sunday and even a few yesterday - lots of lightning and thunder - the fair activities that were happening downtown by the Arch had to be cancelled - but we still went ahead and did some grilling.
Yesterday was pretty fun - I got an early start since the plan was to smoke a pork butt - and that usually takes about 5 or 6 hours. So I went to the store to get the rest of the supplies and I got the fire going, soaked some mesquite wood that I bought in Texas, seasoned the meat, and got it cooking. Several of Mike's friends came by, including his brother Eric, and we had a good time. By about 5pm everything was ready to eat, and man, it was good - definitely worth the wait. So I think that Mike's grill has been sufficiently broken in.
Today I need to cross over the river and go see family in Illinois and pick up a rocking chair that has been in the family for a while and my mom would like to have it. It's an easy drive and I think I'll wait until Mike get's off work.
Tomorrow I start the drive west and will eventually get to Denver for a show on Friday. Maybe to see my friend Tracy Huffman in St. Joseph, Missouri, and maybe to meet up with Eddie in Iowa on Thursday - but we'll see.
Yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
The new set-up
Photobucket
The stage at the Three Kings Public House on Saturday night.
Photobucket
The pork butt being smoked - it was close to being done at that point

No comments: