Saturday, July 2, 2011

MIdwest Humidity - Day 31

Yesterday was a hot one - and I know in other parts of the country it's even worse - but there's just an extra kick with that humidity here. The air seemed heavy - almost like you could see it - looking to the Arch to the east there was a haze that sort of just hung in the air - it almost made me wish I was back in the dry Arizona heat - almost - since today it's supposed to hit 117 degrees in the Phoenix area.
Yesterday Mike and I ran some errands around town after he got back from work. A trip to his parents house, a run to the Goodwill, the drum shop, some food, then back to rest for a while before heading to rehearsal - and all of this done in Mike's car that doesn't have air-conditioning. It was a good day and the rehearsal went well and I'm looking forward to the show tonight. I'm sure we're going to lose a bunch more of water weight - since it's just as hot today - although we're supposed to get some thunderstorms later tonight.
Since Mike doesn't have internet at his place just yet, I walk over to his neighborhood coffeehouse/cafe for my morning coffee and to get online and check things out - like right now. The place is called Nora's and it's a nice little place - very friendly staff and the food looks good. All that I've had so far is a breakfast sandwich on a bagel that tasted great, but the chalk board menu on the wall has a wide selection of sandwiches that sound awesome and I wish I could try them all. They also have salads and soups, and a kids menu too. Best of all though is that it's local and I do think that's important.
I've been seeing that more and more across the country - the whole buy local campaign - and I do agree and support when I can. When we played the farmers market in Austin there was a free magazine that was focused on the local farms - of all sorts - in the surrounding areas. The pictures and the words really made me want to go experience it all. I do enjoy shopping for foods and seeing the fresh products displayed - and I always enjoy shopping at farmer's markets - so it was great when Mikaela and I played at two of them.
Here in St. Louis I picked up a similar magazine - focused on local products - in fact they have it here at Nora's and I think it's a good thing that it's spreading. Also I've seen more and more people with their own gardens - either through community gardens (like my dad) or in their own yards - if they have the space. Before i moved out of Hollywood, I had a few things growing that I was proud of - a basil plant that was doing really well, and a mini poinsettia that was given to me - and I surprisingly kept it alive - and it kept growing until I left and moved to Nashville.
Well, now that I've had two cups of coffee I think I'm ready to start the day. I need to go get some guitar strings, Mike wants to go buy a grill - he's not sure about either gas or charcoal - and then some grilling supplies - food and such. Then load up later and head to the gig, which is just down the road.
I'll let you know how it goes,
Yours Truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: