Friday, July 15, 2011

Rested - Day 43

These past couple days have been good - I feel like I've caught up on my rest and am feeling somewhat normal again. I went out tonight to a local coffeehouse that had an open mic going on - and I ended up signing up and playing. It's a place in downtown Santa Ana called the Gypsy Den - and where I'm going to be having my birthday show next month on August 20th.
The Gypsy Den was one of the places that I first started playing shows. I was first booked there back in 1995 at the original Costa Mesa location. The other spot was Diedrich's down on 17th Street in Costa Mesa. Those were the first paid gigs I had - and I started to build off of that. I picked up some other gigs around Orange County and I would also go out to open mics all across the county.
Soon I started heading up to LA to do open mics and I started looking for gigs up there. By 1998 I had moved up to Hollywood and started picking up gigs and kept going out to open mics around the city. I would also come back to Orange County and play gigs at the Gypsy Den - it was always good because it felt so familiar and since it's an all ages coffeehouse, my family would make it out most of the time.
So I'm happy about having my birthday show there - even though it has changed owners - it still has a good feel to it - and mostly the same decor. I'm not sure if there's going to be another performer that night and I'm also not sure who's or if anyone's going to be playing with me there - but it's definitely possible that some people will join me. August 20th is the date and i am looking forward to it.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: