Sunday, February 26, 2012

End of the Party - Sunday in Memphis

It's Sunday afternoon now and I'm sitting back at a Starbucks on Union Ave. - still in Memphis. We had a late night - almost saw the sun come up - well if our motel room was facing east we would have seen it. But that just happens when hanging out with Lauren. We barely made it out of our room in time for the noon time check out - but we made it - and now that the Folk Alliance Conference is over, I've got to start to head back to the west.
Overall the conference was cool and I'm glad that I came. It was great seeing so much music and meeting so many people - and like I said before seeing some old friends that I hadn't seen for a while. It was interesting going from hotel room to hotel on the 17th, 18th, and 19th floors - people were everywhere - lingering in the hallways, in the stairwells, in the lobby, outside - and music just flowed from almost every corner. At times it was a little overwhelming, especially when you were trying to get one place or the other - and there were several times when we just stepped back and found a corner to catch our breath.
I'm looking forward to, when I get home, check out websites and hear more tunes from several of the people and bands we met and saw. The Hems are a duo from Austin that were checking into our Motel 6 at almost the same time. I caught a couple of their songs and they were awesome - great harmonies and guitar playing. We ran into each other several times over the past days and they were really nice and I look forward to seeing them again.
There were quite a few people that played in room 1910 - The Wine and Nut Room - that I want to go look up their names because it was hard to do it at the time and remember it all. That room was so much fun - almost all Texas singer/songwriters - a few exceptions but there was just a good fun vibe and we spent a lot of time up there - including last night. They finally shut down at about 4am - and I remember being sad about that.
So today I start the drive west - probably stopping in Little Rock, Arkansas - and then tomorrow make my way to Dallas for my show at the Opening Bell - and songwriter in the round show that I'm looking forward to doing. Now that I've been playing a lot over these last several days, I want to keep going.
So that's all for now - when I get more time - maybe later today - I'll write about our trip to Graceland and add some photos finally -
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: