Thursday, February 23, 2012

Memphis

Last night I rolled into Memphis ready to experience this Folk Alliance gathering. First though I had to get our room at the Motel 6 not too far away. I settled in and then head on over.
The Motel 6 is right off Union and within walking distance of Sun Studios which is always cool to see. It was a nice mellow evening and made it there quickly through the downtown streets. I could see the top of the Marriott found a decent parking place and went inside.
It was fairly chaotic - or so it seemed. There were people everywhere cruising around - some carrying instruments - others looking like me - trying to find what to do and where to go. I made it through registration - where right beside me was Jed Hilly, president of the Americana Music Association - who I knew through Lauren, and Tommy Womack, who I had just seen in Nashville the night before for his CD release show at Grimey's. I wondered around a bit and then heard from Lauren who was rushing into town - so I headed back to the motel and waited for her. Our first show wasn't until 11pm and I was feeling ready to play. Finally Lauren made and we rolled back to the hotel and got ready to do our thing. There were less people wandering around but we soon found out where they were - they were upstairs in the private showcase rooms on the top 3 floors of the hotel. After waiting for the elevator we made it up there - to the crowded hallways where people were drifting from room to room listening to one artist after the other. We found our room and quickly set up and got down to playing - and felt good afterwards about what we'd done. We then went into the Wine and Nut Room that our friends Noelle Hampton, Charlie Faye, and Wil Sexton we hosting. It was crowded but we got some beers and listened to a bit. We escaped to a little corner by the elevators for a breather - just to relax and collect our thoughts.
Our next one was at 1am and after listening to some other people in other rooms we made our way down to the room. We met the guy who was going to be in our songwriter circle with us - and got ready to play. The round went well - we had a decent crowd in the room - and everyone we had met so far was very friendly and cool.
So today I'm going to head back over there while Lauren gets through her day of work. I'm looking forward to tonight and playing again - I think it's going to be a late one.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: