Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lazy Nashville Day

The title pretty much sums up my day yesterday. I had nothing planned and I took advantage of my down time to do not much of anything at all. After all the driving and having to be here and there, it felt nice just to relax, watch some tv, play a bit of guitar, drink some tea, and just sit around. So that is why I missed adding something here yesterday.
The drive down from St. Louis on Sunday was easy - it's a five hour drive and there are some very scenic landscapes that you pass through. There are lots of trees, lakes, rivers - birds gathering in fields, then take off in a group - there are signs for deer - but the only ones I've seen are the ones along the side of the road that have been hit by the trucks - sometimes it's a very gruesome scene.
On the way down I stopped in Paducah to rest and to also check out the live feed from San Francisco from Warren Hellman's tribute show. Warren Hellman, who died recently, was the organizer of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival which is a free three day music festival held in Golden Gate park in the first weekend of October. The line-ups are amazing over those three days and thankfully the shows will carry on. I missed this last year's show but planning on being there this next year.
During my stop I was able to catch Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlins and most of their set. They are amazing together and was glad that I had stopped at that time. I wish I could have seen the whole show - which included John Doe, Old Crow Medicine Show, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Robert Earl Keen, and a few more - but I had to make it to Nashville on Sunday. But I guess you can watch the whole - it has been archived on some site so I'll have to look it up.
Last night - after I was done with laying around for the day, I made it out to the 12th South Tap Room to see Kenny Vaughn. My friend Johnny plays bass with him and there was a good crowd. I met up with a few people there - Mark Huff who I had met through my friend Brett in LA - we had done a show together at The Cinema Bar in September - also Noelle Hampton and her husband Andre and Charlie Faye - they were all on the road from Austin and heading to the Folk Alliance conference just like me.
It looks like the Folk Alliance is going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it and can't wait to get there. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
This evening Tommy Womack is playing at Grimey's - looking forward to that
yours truly, Jeremiah

No comments: