Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Down time - Day 18

It feels good to be here in Nashville. I've definitely needed some time to relax and rest and have no real plans. The last 17 days have been pretty action packed - lots of driving, lots of music, lots of running around various towns. So it's like the calm after the storm over here. It seems also like I've brought with me some good weather - instead of how it usually is where I bring storms and floods, tornados - bad weather usually surrounds my tours more than not.
The sun is shining which everyone around here seems very happy about. I heard it was a pretty cold winter down here - a couple days there was some traffic paralyzing snow that practically shut down the whole town. I thought it was cold when I was here for that year, but I guess it was worse. Now, I'm happy for the mellow weather - it's a little humid, like Austin was, but still pretty nice.
Last night I was able to cook which I hadn't done for this trip yet - besides some broccoli as a side dish in Austin one night. I made some pan-fried salmon, some Brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes - which all came out like I had wanted them too. Cooking puts something in my mind at ease and it's something that I really forward to doing. I'm a fairly simple cook - nothing too elaborate - basic seasonings: sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper - those are my mainstays - and I feel like I do a pretty good job. I feel confident in cooking beef (steaks, burgers, and tri-tip - working on my brisket), chicken and fish - certain vegetables like broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Then there's pizza and I love spending the time to make homemade pizza - because it's so much better than delivery and better than most places - if I say so myself.
This evening I'm going to get the grill going and cook some chicken that I started marinating yesterday. Also I have some red and yellow bell peppers that will also go on the grill. Then lastly maybe some mashed sweet potatoes - I haven't decided yet. It's funny coming to the South because there is a difference between barbecuing and grilling and people will correct you and tell you what's right.
Barbecuing is is a process of slow cooking - using wood preferably - and then cooking tough cuts of meat like brisket or pork ribs for hours until the heat breaks the meat down and makes it easily edible (that's an oversimplified explanation I know but all that I can recall off the top of my head). Grilling is where you're cooking things quickly over a hot fire - like burgers, chicken, tri-tip, vegetables - that kind of thing. I'm definitely better at grilling, mostly because it takes time to BBQ - minimum 7 hours or so and it's been hard to plan that. Also, I don't have the right set up. I need a good Weber grill.
On Thursday I head up to St. Louis to get ready for a show on Saturday at the Way Out Club with my cousin Mike and his band the Homewreckers. I like St. Louis and I feel like I know the town well. I have a bunch of family on my mom's side in the area - and we lived close by across the river in Alton, Illinois for a few years when I was growing up. It was nice having so much family around - there was always someone to play with. So it'll be good to get back there and then in a couple more weeks I'll be heading back to play two more shows. But before those there will be a lot more happening.
So for now I think that's it - it's about time to get cooking
yours truly,
Jeremiah

Photobucket
my buddy Nando

No comments: