Sunday, March 27, 2011

Post-show/late night - Day 23


After a late night last night, my cousin Mike and I had a very mellow, relaxing day. We went to an after show party right around the corner from the Way Out Club here in St. Louis and then came back and had some food and started watching a movie around 5 am. So that's the reason for our unambitious day.
Yesterday the snow started around 2pm. It didn't stop until about midnight. It came down in big, fat flakes - clumps almost. It quickly built up and it was strange to see the newly blossomed trees covered in snow. Overall it was about 6 inches - it was piled up on my car which had been sitting there the whole time. I also realized that the weather would most likely affect the turnout to our show that evening - which it did.
Before the show we were going to rehearse again with Dan who was going to be sitting in on bass while Mike played drums. Dan and Mike are also in the band the Homewreckers who were the headlining band that evening. I was surprised by all the snow which kept coming relentlessly down as we drove around the town.
We hit O'Connell's on Kingshighway before the rehearsal which has one of my favorite burgers. It's cooked to order, has a great fresh meaty taste, and needs very little, if anything, extra at all. It's a great deal - $5.50 and $5.75 for a cheeseburger. Whenever I'm in St. Louis I always try to go there.
The second rehearsal went well and I knew it was going to be a good time on stage. It's been a while since I've played with a band where we had rehearsed. But as we took a break and I looked outside to all the snow that had fallen and was still falling I knew that it was going to probably be a light attended show.
When we made it to the club we were told that there was going to another band added to the bill - JP & the Gilberts. They're from Brooklyn and were also on tour and had a show lined up down the street somewhere that ended up getting cancelled - so they were able to get on the bill there. They were awesome - sort of blugrassy, country/rockabilly - great musicians - bass, drums, accordion, lead guitar player who was incredible, and lead singer/acoustic guitar player. Overall it was a great set full of good songs and I was more than happy to trade them CDs.
We were up next and felt that things went well for the set. There were a few sound issues since the sound guy didn't really seem like he knew what he was doing - feedback here and there - way too often in my opinion. The other bands hung out and seemed to like the sounds - and so I'm looking forward to heading back to St. Louis in a week and a half to play some more band shows.
A band called Dinofight played next and it was a trio - sort of a punk band - girls on bass and guitar, and a guy drummer. They were good too - loud, but I enjoyed their set. They played a great version of Bad Reputation. The Homewreckers finished off the night playing with a country/indie rock feel. I had fun hanging out listening to everyone.
A girl at the bar who was friends with the New York band invited everyone back to her place which was close by for an after party gathering. Mike and I thought what the hell and went to check it out. It was cool and I was able to talk a bit to everybody. The night ended with Mike and I eating a frozen pizza in the early hours while watching 24 Hour Party People.
Tonight my aunt made dinner - green beans, ham, and potatoes mixed together - and an arugala salad - very good. Now we're back at my cousin Eric's apartment watching movies - first was Air Guitar Nation - which is an amazing and fun documentary about the first US air guitar championships - directed by my friend Alexandra Lipsitz - I highly recommend it. We're now watching, which I think will close out the evening, Stop Making Sense - the Talking Heads concert movie which blew me away the first time I saw it several years ago at the Arclight in Hollywood as part of AFI's music series.
Tomorrow I head back to Nashville where Lauren and I will be playing the New Faces Night showcase at The Basement on Tuesday night, then on Thursday we're heading to Knoxville to play the WDVX Blue Plate Special show and then Louisville later that night. On Saturday we'll be in the Cincinnati vicinity at the Southgate house.
If you would like to donate and contribute and help fund the tour - contact me here at Jeremiah125@hotmail.com
thanks,
yours truly,
Jeremiah


Driving around town listening to Wilco
Photobucket
Mike Evans post-rehearsal playing a guitar-synth thing
Photobucket
JP & the Gilberts at The Way Out Club
Photobucket
Dinofight rocking out
Photobucket
The Homewreckers finishing the night

No comments: