Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday morning in Nashville - Day 17

Just after midnight last night, we rolled into Nashville and landed safely at lauren's house. It was a good 14 hour drive - and with the exception of the first hour - which was a very slow drive as we drove north out of Austin due to a very bad wreck on the highway - we cruised along nicely. We made a stop for BBQ just east of Dallas - which was all right - and kept going.
I was very glad to have Lauren as my co-pilot which hasn't happened for a while - since I've done most of my traveling since last summer alone. So I was glad when she took over driving and I was able to catch a much needed nap. She also had snacks for us - carrots, sandwiches, drinks - so I was very happy about that. From Little Rock I drove on, with another quick pit stop in West Memphis. The nap really helped and I felt good as we crossed in Tennessee and drove on beneath the bright moonlight.

Austin really was fun - although we heard about some troubles through out the town during the festival. It has just grown and grown and there are so many people that come to town (us included) but some just show up for the free beers and food and to party, than to go out and hear and discover music. We stayed away from the craziness as much as possible - with the exception of me going to see The Strokes and walking in when the gate was pushed down - but the shows we saw were fun.
The Lost Highway/BMI show on Friday really was awesome - Black Joe Lewis played some high energy soul, followed by Hayes Carll who rolled forward with a great band and amazing songs - as did Robert Earl Keen who was also incredible. Lucinda Williams closed out the night and I was so glad I was there to see it. Her set was a good one - old and new songs - an awesome band - and she sounded wonderful. I was so glad that Lauren was able to get us in to the show and into the VIP section- where we sat center stage and able to enjoy the whole night.
On Saturday morning I rushed out to see my friend and new Austinite Mikaela Dewar - who just moved to town from Nashville. The place was north of town and I was able to catch her friend (and now mine) Jackie Bristow as she finished her last songs. Then Mikaela played a good set of songs - some that will be on her forthcoming CD - which I'm looking forward to getting.
That evening we had a show out at Sam's Town Point - but before we went down to South Congress to catch the Mother Truckers at the Continental Club. Our friend Mark Gonzales is the manager so we were able to catch up with him while the band played a rocking set. We were also able to hang out with Todd Kivi again who we knew from LA and the Cinema Bar and who we had seen at Maria's the day before, and at the Lost Highway/BMI show. He's been coming to SXSW for 14 years and it's always good to hag out with him since he seems to know everyone.
Now we have to wait until next year, until the next SXSW - and hopefully we'll take another step up like this year, and the year before that.
It's a nice mellow day here in Nashville. Soon after getting a much needed shower I'll head out and check out the town.

Photobucket
Lauren and I post show at Uncorked on Saturday night

Photobucket
Mikaela Dewar at the Lakeline Farmers Market

yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: