Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Day Off in Denver - Day 44

AFter a week a running from one town to the next, today I get to actually enjoy a full day off - and so far it's been incredibly nice and just what I've needed. Over the past week I've covered well over 2,000 miles - and I've been pretty exhausted over the last couple days - trying to recover from that insane drive from Dallas. Tonight my cousin Chris is smoking some ribs and I'm looking forward to a mellow evening.
Friday night, it felt so good to sleep and lay down in a bed - and then to wake up in the glorious mountains, not too far from the entrance Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a little cold out and the bit of snow was blowing down in the wind. We didn't have to be down in Denver for a few hours so we drove around town for a bit, checking out the amazing scenery.
we had lunch downtown and I had my first elk burger - which was really good - meaty, not too gamey, seasoned and cooked perfectly. The burger the night before at Mary's Lake Lodge and this one had definitely made up for that bad one in Dallas - which I'm still shocked about. After lunch we went up to the Stanley Hotel where they filmed the exterior for The Shining - and it's really a remarkable place - a grand old hotel - not so scary as the movie depicts - but just a classic, historic feel to it.
We made our way down the mountain and back to downtown Denver to meet up with a friend of Lauren's - I thought about the last time I was down there for the St. Patrick's Day parade just last month. There was a Rockies game that afternoon and the places and the streets were crowded with people dressed up in baseball gear. After hanging out we headed over to my cousin Chris' house so we could get ready for the gig that night around the corner at KJ's Coffee and Wine Bar.
We were going to be playing as a trio that night, Lauren, Chris, and me - and when we got there just around 6:30 there wasn't anyone there. Hopefully people show up - we thought out loud as we set up our gear, and by the time we were ready to go at 7pm the place totally filled up - kids and parents all from the neighborhood - some of Lauren's family, Chris' family, other people that came to check out the music. It was funny just how fast people poured in. The show went well - it's also funny watching the kids get into it and start dancing and grooving. It does get a little chaotic but it makes it fun too - they serve ice cream and to watch their faces get covered and messed up and then run around - it's hard to keep a straight face sometimes.
One of my friends from LA who is in Denver for a class came out too - Cat Lincoln - who makes it out to the Cinema Bar a lot and to the Grand Ol' Echo too. So we talked and caught up. Afterwards a group of us headed out for some food - and then I started feeling worn out and ready for some sleep.
Today I ventured out to buy some guitar strings, and it's just been a lazy day. I was able to do some laundry - which was definitely a much needed task. I'm looking forward to the ribs that have been slow cooking since about noon. Then maybe some rehearsing for the radio show tomorrow up in Fort Collins. It's a show I've done a couple times before and thankfully they also welcome me back when I'm passing through town.
Here's the info:

KRFC Live@Lunch - from Fort Collins, Colorado
12PM Mountain Time

here's the link
http://www.krfcfm.org/programming/krfc-live-stream/

listen in if you can
thanks,
yours truly,
Jeremiah

Photobucket
The City Tavern stage in Dallas
Photobucket
gear
Photobucket
The 100K mark - just before Colorado Springs
Photobucket
The make-up burger at Mary's Lake Lodge - it was awesome
Photobucket
Mary's Lake Lodge - as the snow fell
Photobucket
The view from the lodge
Photobucket
The lodge is on the hill in the distance
Photobucket
The Stanley Hotel - Lauren is there taking a photo of a group of girls
Photobucket
Some animals just hanging out

No comments: