Thursday, April 21, 2011

Drive Back Into the West - Day 47 & 48

Somehow I am still awake - after driving just over 800 miles yesterday, playing 2 sets at a place in Vegas, doing some gambling - and then driving up to Flagstaff where I am right now. I did stop and sleep for about an hour in my car before driving into Arizona - and I am looking forward to sleep tonight - and maybe I'll catch a nap somewhere here in town.
I left Denver just after 7am and started my drive into the west. It was a beautiful drive - snow covered the mountains as I climbed higher and higher. I stopped for breakfast in Frisco and kept on rolling. I made another short pit stop in Grand Junction and crossed into Utah. I winded my way down the road and cut between the rocks. I went back and forth between elevations - and finally started coming down as I approached Las Vegas.
I saw the lights in the distance as the sun was setting. It had been a while since I actually had spent any time in town and I had never played a show there - so I was looking forward to it. The place is called the Freakin' Frog and it's right across the street from UNLV. Inside there was a decent sized stage, a bar, and a grill. I set up my stuff after talking to the manager and I went a head and played two sets. There were some people there - not a lot, but they clapped and overall I got a good vibe from the place.
Afterwards I decided to take my tips and play some blackjack - so I headed to the Mirage - a place I used to go quite a bit. I checked out the tables and found one and sat down and started playing. I started gathering chips - more and more - after about an hour or so I was doing all right and after a couple of bad hands I knew it was time to go - and I left with $205 - although I gave $5 back at Treasure Island where I parked. I felt good about that and headed to the bank to deposit it.
From there I had some breakfast and then started the drive after a short nap. I cruised through Kingman, Ash Fork, and then into Flagstaff. It's nice up here today - a little breezy, but it's warm in the sun.
Tonight I head down to the Phoenix area - and I'm looking forward to some sleep.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: