Monday, April 25, 2011

Sitting On Top Of The World - Day 52

Photobucket
up near the top of Camelback Mt.


Today I woke up with several things on my mind: I wanted to start getting some shows booked for June across the country, I started thinking about doing the Kickstarter thing again for the next tour, and I was feeling that it was finally time to get to the top of Camelback Mountain again. So after some coffee and tea, I started going after those goals.
First though, last night was fairly quiet - I went out to watch the Lakers - lose unfortunately - and I'm hoping that they can pull it together to get out of this first round of the playoffs. By the time I got back, everyone was asleep, and after checking into various websites and updating this and that, I fell asleep on the couch also.
I knew before booking some more shows, I had to figure out just where and when I was going to be in certain towns. So I looked at the calendar and thought about the different venues that would have me back, and then also a few new ones along the way. I also needed to get a couple that had a paid guarantee so I could stay funded out on the road. I sent my cousin Mike a message for St. Louis, and then Nashville, and the Southgate House in the Cincinnati area that really like us.
Another point to heading back to the Nashville area is to get some writing done with Lauren. We have been wanting to get some co-writing done and get some new songs into the set that represent to the two of us working together. I'll be happier when I get some other things on the books. As always I look forward to going back to Nashville - I know I was pretty down on it before - and as long as everyone keeps their weapons to themselves (since I've been mugged once and my store where I worked robbed - both at gun point) I'll be happy.
The Kickstarter Project I think is a good idea. I know that it has worked for several people that I know - and I think I'm ready to give it another attempt. I plan to ask for a little less - and I hope that it works. I do need some more CDs, and t-shirts, and my car checked over - I think new brakes, new tires since I've driven over 50K miles on them and they were rated for 50K to 60K and they're definitely looking a bit worn. I walked a pretty thin line this tour since my fundraising didn't go through and there were moments where I was pretty stressed. So I just have to figure out some new rewards, new plans, and get it written out - and let it happen.
After doing some laundry, I knew it was time to go tackle the mountain. It wasn't too hot out, and I knew I didn't have any other excuses. So I went to Trader Joe's and picked up some water and made my way to Echo Canyon where you start the trail up. The hike is 1.2 miles, but it's a hard 1.2 miles. The first time I went up several years ago with Eddie, I took the beginning way to fast and by the 1/2 mile mark I was embarrassingly down on the ground, trying to get air. But after seeing some little kids on their way down, I got up and finished it. This time I paced myself, took it slow, and stopped along the way. I made sure to get plenty of water - not just to drink, but to cool down my head and body - which really helped. After an hour climb - going up the trail which is a mix of dirt, rocks, and boulders - seeing various squirrels and birds, lots of lizards sunning themselves on the rocks, and making my way around the other hikers - going both up and down - I reached the top. It felt good. I sat down and enjoyed the view and rested for a while. From up there you can see way off into the distance - and the whole valley - it was an amazing view - and I'm glad that I finally saw it again.
It took me an hour to get down and that wasn't easy also. By the end it was a struggle to lift my legs and I'm not looking forward to what they're going to feel like tomorrow. Right at the end - the last hundred yards, my legs started to cramp - but thankfully it didn't last. I stopped by TJ's again and picked up some fruit and a bag of carrots that my body seems to have been craving. I'm finishing this up at a nearby Starbuck's and I look forward to getting cleaned up and showered - and then later head over to The Sail Inn in Tempe to play the last road show of this tour - 29 shows in 53 days - over 11K miles.
It'll be good to be back in California for a while.
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
looking to the southwest from the top
Photobucket
looking to the north
Photobucket
Up on the top of Camelback Mt.
Photobucket
Heading down

No comments: