Monday, April 11, 2011

Goin' Back South - Day 38

After a weekend in St. Louis and Chicago, I'm on my way heading back to the south - first to Nashville to pick up Lauren, and then to head over to Austin. Right now I'm making a stop in Terre Haute, Indiana - food, a bit of rest. I've been taking the small Highway 41 down to the south. I had been wanting to try a new road - and this is definitely a new one.
First though - the Saturday night show in St. Louis at Pop's Blue Moon went well. There wasn't as many people as last time there, but still a decent crowd. The first band up was called Free Dirt and Dan, who was going to be playing bass with me again, along with Mike, my cousin, was Dan's old band. They were good - loud, raw, twangy rock and roll. They did a cover of Devo's Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... which was pretty awesome. Our set was cool - although it took a while to get the sound just right, but we played on, and at the end of the set people were calling for more - that's always a good sign.
In the morning I said goodbye to Mike and hit the road for Chicago and for my other cousin, Ben's place, who lives in the Naperville/Aurora area just west of town. On the way up, the land is pretty flat - lots of farms dot the countryside - and birds: crows, hawks - circle the road looking for food. Again it was another smooth ride and I made it there with enough time to sit down and relax for a bit.
I drove into town and thankfully the traffic was light. I've made that drive before and it's been hard because of roadwork - or a Cubs game. There were lots of people out on the town - hanging out on the patio bars, and walking up and down the streets - it was warm out - warm and humid, with a slight breeze, but in the distance were clouds and the threat of a storm. So I was glad to see people out and I took it as a good sign for the show that evening.
The venue is called Uncommon Grounds and it's in Wrigleyville - right on the corner. It has some good food and a good bar. The music happens in a smaller room - and was glad to see the place fill up as the first act got ready to play. The evening of music were people connected to my friend and former Chicagoan Kim Grant - who now lives in LA. When I was looking for some people to add to the bill, I thought of her friend Lisa DeRosia, who I had met several years ago in LA - who agreed and then we added some of Lisa's friends, Anne-Marie and Colby Maddox who played as a duo. We all had a great time and I enjoyed everyone who played - and was also glad that the room stayed full through out the whole night. My friend Arthi who I knew from working with her in LA at Trader Joe's showed up with her boyfriend and we all hung out after Uncommon Grounds closed.
Today has been all right - just a slow drive down from the north. Again, lots and lots of farms all around the road, some cloudy skies, diesel trucks - and I'm looking forward to some sleep in Nashville tonight. Tomorrow night - Austin!
Thanks again to my cousin Mike for all his help for the St. Louis shows. I'm thinking of heading back in June - but we'll see -
Also - in May I have several shows around LA - I'll post it all up soon.
thanks,
yours truly,
Jeremiah

Photobucket
even though I'm not a Cubs fan (go Cards!), I thought this was cool

Photobucket
Anne-Marie and Colby Maddox - and their bass player

Photobucket
Lisa DeRosia and her guitar player

Photobucket
Lisa and her daughter playing Old Macdonald's Farm

No comments: