Friday, April 22, 2011

Sleep, sweet sleep - day 49

Yesterday morning I pulled in Flagstaff after an all-nighter in Vegas (although I did take a short nap). As I have mentioned before Flagstaff is one of my favorite towns and I needed a place to rest and relax and grab some lunch. My original plan was to get some coffee, do some writing, eat, take a nap and then drive down to Phoenix and meet up with Eddie Elliott, my old friend. But when I couldn't settle down to a nap in my car, my plans changed - which leads to me still being in Flagstaff right now.
I was pretty surprised when I wasn't feeling tired at all - well I was feeling exhausted and worn out, but not to the point where I was falling asleep. I got some lunch downtown at the Weatherford Hotel and Charley's - which was pretty disappointing. For some reason I had been craving some seared ahi tuna and was happy when I saw an ahi tuna sandwich on the menu. When it showed up I could tell that it had been frozen and not prepared correctly (from my days at Trader Joe's and preparing the frozen fish at home and having similar issues). It was sort of dry, not seasoned well - or at all - and just didn't have much taste at all. I still ate it all but left not all that happy at all about it.
I started thinking about heading down into Phoenix - which is about a 2 and a half hour drive - wanting to make it with enough time to meet up at Eddie's house so I could get cleaned up - which I was in desperate need of - before he headed out to Cave Creek for a show. But I also sort of knew that my body might crash from exhaustion on the way down - especially as the weather warmed up and it would be right at that afternoon/naptime point in the day. So I did the safe thing and just checked into a Motel 6 - and quickly felt happy about my decision. I laid down on the bed and was out for a few hours.
Later on I got cleaned up - showered, shaved, and went out for some food. I also thought about going out to check out some music, but instead just came back to the room - and passed out again. Today I've gotten a slow start. It feels good to be up in this town. Phoenix will be nice - and I'm really hoping that I can make it down to Tucson.
Tonight I'll be at the Dirty Drummer/North 51 Grill - it's a place I've played a lot over the years. The owner Rick is a nice guy and I usually try to stop by and say hi when I can.
Here are some pictures from the drive on Wednesday:

Photobucket
Frisco, CO. where I had breakfast - which was really good - highly recommended
Photobucket
snowy I-70 at about 10,000 ft
Photobucket
Utah
Photobucket
Nevada desert, closing in on Vegas
Photobucket
I walked in to see myself projected on the wall - and I was wearing the same shirt - cool place
Photobucket
The Strip at about 4am - a few dollars richer

No comments: