Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back in the Gateway City - Day 29

Yesterday was an easy drive - I like easy drives. For one, it's a drive I know well - from Nashville to St. Louis, and two, it was nice and clear out - and not much traffic. St. Louis is a great town - one where I have a bunch of family on my mom's side - so I've been coming here since I was a little kid. I think the first time was when my parents took my sister's and I on the train from LA.
Nashville had been good for catching up on my rest. I really haven't had much down time at all on this trip and the other night I just passed out. A big storm came through early in the morning and I didn't hear any of it. I woke up refreshed like I haven't really been for a while. After the weekend to Chicago and Cincinnati I was feeling exhausted and I could feel a crash coming - so I was very happy to get sort of caught up.
I enjoy the drive into the city - where you can see the Arch in the distance - and the road winds through East St. Louis and then you cross the bridge over the Mississippi River - and the city lies to the north of the highway and the arch shines in the sun - as the muddy river rolls on by. I made my way further into the city to wait for my cousin to get off work - since I was going to be staying with him.
I drove around for a bit and it was nice out - not too hot and humid - and the skies were wide open with some clouds drifting slowly by - and a tint of smog in the distance. Soon Mike called and I met him at his place - which is in Dogtown and an old Irish neighborhood. I guess the St. Patrick's Day parade starts nearby - and so the streets are full and packed with people celebrating. The houses and apartments are old and have a lot of character. Mike just moved in two weeks ago so his place is still filling up with stuff - but it's a cool place on the 2nd story - a front deck and a back deck.
We went to a place around the corner (and right on the corner from where I'm writing this now) for some food. It was pretty good. I like that there are places to walk to and the neighborhood is interesting.
Tonight I'm not sure what we're going to do - maybe an open mic - then tomorrow I drive to Marion, IN for a show at the Beatniks Cafe - I'm hoping it goes well - and Mike might come with me - we'll see. The Saturday night we're playing at a place called the Three Kings Public House on Delmar in the loop. The family is supposed to come out for that one.
that's all for now,
Yours Truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
Crossing into St. Louis
Photobucket
Mike Evans - wearing a King Louie's t-shirt which is a burger stand right around the corner from my Granny's old house in Wood River, IL. that everyone in the family knows very well from going there all the time from when we were young. I'm hoping to go there this trip.

No comments: