Friday, June 10, 2011

Out On The Town - Day 9

Yesterday reminded me of why I love Austin. There were three shows that I wanted to go to - and if I wanted to I could have gone to more - but I liked having the options of going out and catching several bands and people i really wanted to see. That doesn't happen in every town. There's a reason this place is called the Live Music Capital of the World. I only made it out to two out of the three I wanted to see - since one started later than I thought - but I was still happy about it all.
Yesterday evening I made it over to Maria's Taco Express which is right down the road from Mikaela's place - where I've been happily catching up on my sleep on her couch. My friend Shilah Morrow runs a show there on Thursday nights called the Sin City Social Club Happy Hour and it goes from 7 to 9. She knows the best players and so it's always a guaranteed great show. Dave Insley and the Careless Smokers were the band and they'll be there every Thursday for the month in June. I had some great tacos - al pastor: marinated pork topped with onions, cilantro, and salsa; and barbacoa: shredded beef also marinated with the same toppings. They both were so good and full of flavor and hopefully I'll make it back there for some more.
MIkaela made it out for the second set which was just as good and we finished up a good amount of chips and salsa - before heading downtown to catch my old friend Izzy Cox. At first we were a little worried about getting a decent parking place, since there's a biker rally in town that started last night. But we got lucky and found a spot right down the way from the bar. Parking can be such a crazy thing in this town - or, well, anywhere. I don't like paying for parking, so I'd rather walk a few blocks then shell out 10 bucks for a spot. It was busy out on the streets, but not crazy - it was still manageable to get around the town.
The bar is Headhunter's and a place that Lauren and I played last year. It's kind of a grungy rocker bar - lots of people with tattoos and piercings - band stickers all over the walls - loud noisy rock roaring out over the house p.a. speakers - so it was an interesting night when we played there and played a few quiet folk songs. Izzy Cox is a one woman show - she plays an electric guitar and has a kick drum right in front that she pounds out the beat as she plays and sings. She has an amazing voice - a cross between classic female jazz, a blues shouter, rock and roll singer. She has a lot of murder ballad songs - and she played a whole batch of new songs - some which reflected her rambling singer/songwriter gypsy-like past. She said that she's hoping to record some in the near future and I look forward to hearing the songs.
Like I said - Izzy is an old friend. We met years ago when she lived in LA. She was singing at the Hollywood farmer's market with another friend of mine, Sarah Kramer, playing trumpet. Then I started seeing her more and more around town - and she definitely stood out musically - it caught your attention. She passed on a weekly gig to me at a coffeehouse in Hollywood, which I did for seven months - every Tuesday night except two. Then I heard she was moving to Austin. During my first trip for SXSW here, Lauren and I ran into her on the street randomly. When I was living in Nashville she stayed in the spare room at the house I was living at for a few days - and I've stayed informed about her travels through the magic of Facebook. So I was happy when she posted that she was playing and knew that was something that I had to go to. Mikaela picked up a CD - and it's something that I highly recommend.
The night ended with a stop at a Sonic Drive-in for some shakes - and some chatting out on the back deck of the pad - then once again, sweet sleep.
This afternoon I'll be playing at the Waterloo Icehouse on 38th and Lamar from 5:30 to 7 and then in the morning at another farmer's market with Mikaela - that's an early one - a 9am start time, so we probably won't be out too late, although there are plans to go see Jess Klein at the Saxon Pub. It'll all work out.
That's all for now - it's nice in the shade,
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
Izzy Cox at Headhunter's in Austin

here's a link to her music and where to buy:
www.reverbnation.com/izzycox

No comments: