Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hot AZ Days - Day 3

Today I made it down to Tucson, Arizona. It's warm out - not too too bad just yet - about 103 right now as I sit on the patio of the Hotel Congress - enjoying my bit of shade. I'm not sure just how much it will cool down - but hopefully a decent amount. The wind is blowing but that's just moving the warm air around - not too much relief.
Last night I played at the North 51 Grill again. I've played there many times over the years and it's a good sort of hole in the wall kind of place. Rick, the owner, recently put in a stage which I was sort of shocked to see. It's definitely needed a spot for performers. Before there was always moving tables and chairs out of the way to make room for gear on the floor. So it looks more like an actual place that host music, and not just a sports bar. The crowd sort of came and went, and came back again - and overall it was a good night.
Once again I crashed on Eddie's couch and woke up early when his kids got up - 6:30 or so. It was nice outside in the morning and I took a little walk over to Starbucks, and then got ready for the day, and for the drive down the 10 to Tucson. The drive was easy - not too many cops out like the last time I did that drive - and the desert scenery surrounded my car: cactuses, and brush, dry, rocky hills in the distance - dry open fields - there were also lots of vehicles on the road - big semi's and cars and sometimes I wonder what part of "Slower Traffic Stay Right" some people don't understand.
So now I'm waiting for Matthew, who's playing drums with me tonight, to show up. This hotel is very cool and I guess certain rooms are haunted - hopefully not ours. The food here is pretty good - I ate here back in March and remember being impressed. Across the patio they're smoking food - meat I presume - and I love the smell of the burning wood - smoking. I can't wait to do some of my own when I get back to California.
While I have my own struggles in life - it's a moment like now that I'm thankful for being able to do what I do. Life ain't bad - really.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: