Monday, June 13, 2011

A Fun Weekend - Day 12

I can't believe that I'm already up to day 12 already. The days have been flying by - and I have been enjoying myself - although I'm never that excited about the long drives - especially with the gas prices still the way they are. My days here in Austin have been fun, and I had a good weekend, and all my days so far have been filled with music in one way or the other.
After our long early morning on Saturday, and our afternoon getting food and looking at vintage stores, we made it back home and I rested while my friend got prepared to go out for the night. I had no plans, but knew of several things going on around town. There was also a biker rally happening in town, so I kept that in mind after I got ready to go out. I had wanted to make the Mother Trucker's show at Antone's, but was weary of heading into downtown on a Saturday night.
My other friend, Jason, sent me a message that he and his wife were going to see local singer/songwriter Jimmy Lafave at a place called Threadgill's - which isn't too far from downtown - but far enough to be away from the Saturday night madness. It was also later than I thought so I didn't leave until about 9:15 - but was glad about the decision of going to Threadgill's when I got there because I found parking in the parking lot right there. The stage is outside and the weather was perfect as I bought a ticket and went inside.
Jimmy Lafave came out with his band - a big guy and could easily have passed for one of the biker guys in town for the rally. But when he started singing it was an amazing contrast - just a warm, sweet voice - full of emotion - cracks in the right place - a classic blues influenced Texas singer/songwriter. He played acoustic guitar and his band filled out the rest: drummer, bass, keyboard that had sounds of piano, Hammond B3, clavinet, lead guitar player that I recognized from the band Stonehoney, who I know several members of - they used to live in LA, and the amazing Cindy Cashdollar on lap steel - who I had seen on Friday night at the Saxon Pub playing another local guy. I also saw her play with Dave Alvin in October in Hermosa Beach, and she has played with a lot of major players, including Bob Dylan, and Van Morrison and she has won 5 Grammys over the years - which was pointed out by Dave Alvin at that show. So I sat there spellbound as she took her solos - admiring her tone and the notes that sang out into the night.
Jimmy played a great set and I know I need to go get some of his stuff. The crowd was into it - and he thanked his longtime fans for coming out - including a woman who I think I heard was 84 and she had missed the last couple shows - and he took a moment to thank her for making it out as much as she did - which sounds like she makes most of them - it was a sweet moment. I was so happy that I had caught it all, and was able to see something new to me.
Jason and I ended up at a place outside of town called the Red Shed which had a big backyard patio area, and lots of people were hanging out, enjoying the nice June evening which had cooled down to almost a perfect temperature. We talked about music and traveling - which he and his wife Penny Jo are going to be doing soon. It was a good night of music and friends and it made me happy about being in Austin.
On Sunday I got up and made my way back to Starbuck's to check in online and see what was going on. I saw that my friend Randy Weeks was going to playing a afternoon show from 3 to 6. Randy is an awesome singer/songwriter who moved to Austin from LA several years ago. I used to go see him play at The Cinema Bar on Saturday nights which was always a fun time. Those shows were packed - and that's how I fell into the roots/rock/Americana scene. So whenever I'm in Austin and I see that he's playing I do my best to see him.
Yesterday he was playing at a place called Jovita's - which isn't too far from where I'm staying over here on the south side of town. I got there and the band was set up outside on the patio - Jess Klein, who I had seen on Friday night at the Saxon Pub was there as a backup singer. People starting showing up and some weren't too happy about being outside - since it was over 100 degrees - and we were all trying to set our seats in the shade as good as possible. The wait staff kept the waters flowing and the band kicked in and started rocking - but with so many fans blowing and the mist-ers misting - the place blew a fuse - twice. But that all got sorted out and they quickly got back to grooving.
Afterwards I went in search of BBQ. I had heard about a place on the eastside and I went looking but didn't find it - so I headed back to the main part of town and found one called the Green Mesquite on Barton Springs and S. Lamar. It felt like it was going to be good, I was so happy when it was. I ordered a sliced beef sandwich and it showed up on white bread - and was really good and tender. So I sat and enjoyed and watch the NBA finals game. Afterwards I walked down by the riverfront and stood on the bridge and watched as the sun set. I heard some music from the distance and headed over and saw groups of people in front of the performance center. But by the time I made it up close everything seemed to be packed away and I saw something that had ASO on it which I figure stood for Austin Symphony Orchestra. So I just wandered around - and enjoyed the mellow evening that was cooling down nicely.
Later that night back at the pad I caught up with Mikaeala, who had worked that day, and Jackie, who had come back from Houston for a gig. We talked for a while on the back patio - they were worried about New Zealand since they had just had another earthquake - and so they were hearing from friends and family trying to get the news. It felt good to finally get to bed at a decent hour.
Today I have to make a run to the guitar store to buy a new cable since mine was cutting in and out at the Saturday morning gig - and ever since I had an equipment problem when I was able to join Willie Nelson onstage several years ago, I don't take risks on faulty gear. Tonight is the gig at Momo's which I'm happy about - I'm hoping people make it out for the show.
All right time to start going,
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
Jimmy Lafave at Threadgill's with Cindy Cashdollar (seated with the lap steel)
Photobucket
Randy Weeks with Jess Klein at Jovita's on a hot Austin afternoon
Photobucket
Sunset - looking towards downtown
Photobucket
and looking towards the West

No comments: