Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Day Off - Day 4

Today down here in Tucson I have the day off - I think so far - at least nothing scheduled for now. My friend Eddie is coming down from Phoenix to play a house concert so I could be doing some playing with him - but I don't have anything set and even though it's hot down here - it sort of feels good and I'm enjoying the day off - no driving too.
Yesterday was pretty cool. The Hotel Congress was a very interesting old hotel. It's where they caught Dillinger in 1934 - and yesterday on the patio was nice. The inside is very vintage - not many changes at all over the years. So after a late afternoon shower we got ready to head over to the Nimbus Brewery where we were to play from 6 to 9pm.
It took a little bit to find. I missed a turned and we almost ended up on the military base. We finally found it out in an industrial part of town - sort of out in the middle of nowhere. Inside it was big - bar and seating up front and the big stainless steel casks in the back. We set up in the front corner and got ready to play. Matt, the drummer, had a crew of people show up, and my friend showed up with a friend - and there were others there too and we got going just after 6pm - it was close to 100 degrees- but it ended up not being too bad. The people there dug us and we did our three sets - doing quite a bit of improvising - which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't exactly work - but it was all a good time. After we were done I ordered a burger, which was all right - nothing too special, but not bad - I still am shocked about how bad the burger in Dallas at the City Tavern was.
Post gig we went to a little gathering at one of Matt's friend's house - and I liked being in Tucson - despite the heat - it has a good feel to it - not at all like Phoenix - which is pretty boring really. When we got back to the hotel, the club there was in full swing and when we went up to the room we could hear and feel the music that was right below us. I realized now why they had placed earplugs on the night stand. We did venture downstairs and hung out for a bit - but by about 1am we were done. I stayed up for a while since it was almost impossible to sleep with all the noise pounding through the floor.
This morning I was up early - the early traffic was moving down Congress through downtown and I could hear it all. By 10am we were ready for breakfast and check out - and it was busy in the lobby downstairs. People were lined up for the bloody mary bar which seemed overwhelming with the choices. We finally got seated and enjoyed a good breakfast - even though it took a while to get to us. One of Matt's friend's, Kate, joined us and we sat and talked.
So that's the day so far. Now I just have to wait for Eddie to get down here, and I'm going to go check out the city a bit more. Tomorrow I head back up to Phoenix and tomorrow night I'll be playing over at The Sail Inn in Tempe - at 9pm - first up that night.
yours truly,
Jeremiah
Photobucket
The Hotel Congress back patio
Photobucket
the front desk
Photobucket
another inside shot
Photobucket
from the front

No comments: