Saturday, June 11, 2011

An Early Morning - Day 10

It's Saturday evening, the sun is going, and thankfully it's starting to cool off. It was pretty warm today - not a lot of humidity, which I'm very thankful about, but that's coming - along with more heat. It can be overwhelming. So I was glad that since our gig was outside this morning - it never got to be too much - just at the end when we were done at 1pm - and then we got in the car and cranked up the a/c.
This morning, my friend Mikaela and I had another farmer's market gig - this one started at 9am and so last night we figured that we had to be up and start getting ready at 7 - which wouldn't have been so bad if the group of us hadn't of gone out to a show: Jess Klein at the Saxon Pub. She was amazing, but didn't start until 10:30 or so. We all didn't make it back to the pad until about 1am or so, then stayed up and talked for a bit - so when the alarm went off at 7am, I wasn't too happy, but knew what had to be done.
The gig went well. A lot of people make it out to this one and there was a steady stream of people right off. Again it was a four hour gig and Mikaela and I alternated hour long sets. We kept properly hydrated and I was happy when we finished. We made a good amount in tips and sold some CD's and decided before heading back to the pad to put some of the money to good use. For me it was going to be food and for Mikaela it was going to be at the vintage thrift store.
We headed over to South Congress where there were a lot of people out enjoying the weekend day - there are a bunch of stores, art galleries, restaurants and cafes, a section of food trucks, a few music venues, and several outdoor markets. We stopped in for some food first at an Italian place right on the corner - a nice looking cafe with a deli in the front. I ordered some calamari, and a small salad to share since Mikaela said she wasn't too hungry - and it was incredible: the calamari was breaded lightly and seasoned perfectly and while in some places it can be chewy, this was not - it almost melted in your mouth. The salad was really good too - it tasted very fresh, and I was glad that we went there instead of the original plan of hitting a food truck. It was also nice to sit down and enjoy some a/c after being outside for most of the day.
Tonight, I have the night to myself and I'm trying to figure out just what to do. A great Austin band, the Mother Trucker's are playing down at Antone's, so that could be a very cool thing - and I also have to figure out what to do for food - but I'm sure everything will fall into place soon.
Tomorrow is a day off - although I'll probably change some guitar strings to get ready for the show at Momo's on Monday evening.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

No comments: