Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nashville - again - Day 25

This morning I made my way back to Nashville, where I'm going to hanging out for the next couple days - before I head to St. Louis to get ready for the show there on this coming Saturday. I hit some rain as I drove down the Kentucky highway - and by the time I got to the house I was ready for some rest. The last several days have been really busy - and fun - so I'm glad I have a few days of down time - hopefully I can catch up on my rest.
Chicago was awesome - I love that town - well visiting it anyway - I don't know if I could handle the winter there. It has a unique feel to it - a busy kind of feeling, but also relaxed and friendly. I like the old buildings and the different parts of town - and just the general history that's there - not like Los Angeles where it's mostly new in comparison.
Before I headed out of town I stopped by Jackson Park which is south of the city and where the Museum Of Science and Industry is located. I wanted to see the building since I'm a fan of the book, The Devil In The White City, which is about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair - and the museum is the only remaining building left - since the other ones built were only temporary and ended up burning down. I was truly impressed seeing it up close - and it's a grand building, but I do wish I could have seen all the buildings as they were - the others were massive and I can only imagine what it all must have been like.
I walked from there to the shore of Lake Michigan - it was a little hazy out but warm and a bit humid - and the beach was busy - the park too - people were running and cyclist cruising around - and people just hanging out in the park. I know if I lived up there I would do my best to be out there all the time. Then I realized it was getting late and I needed to get down the road to Cincinnati - and then I remembered that I had to cross into the Eastern time zone and it would be an hour later - so I really knew I had to get moving. I made my way to highway and headed for the Indiana border.
The ride was smooth and I was glad to see the gas prices drop as I left the city - where they had been around $4.29 - and in Indiana the price had dropped to around $3.49 - even cheaper down the road too. As the sun was setting I rolled over the river from downtown Cincinnati into Newport, Kentucky and to the Southgate House. There were people out on the town and I was looking forward to playing in venue again - the last time was in early April and it went well - a little smokey but a good feeling room.
I carried in my gear and set it up and got ready for the night of playing. It's in an old two story house and has 3 different rooms for performers. I saw that Dave Alvin was playing in the larger room, and a several others that I recognized. Like I said, the last show went well and I was ready and people starting coming in to the club.
I ended up making several new fans - people that had looked at the club website and decided to come down based on my bio, and then a few others who had seen some of the videos I have up on You Tube with Lauren - so I was very happy to see that I have some fans in the Cincinnati area. I will hopefully make it back there before the end of the year.
After the gig I hit a local late night diner for some early/pre-dawn breakfast and then moved down the road to the first rest stop and slept for a while. A storm came in and rain poured and the lightning flashed and the thunder roared. By about 7:30 I got up and started the drive back to Nashville. The sky was dark and cloudy and rain fell for most of the way. I passed again through Louisville, and made a stop in Bowling Green, which is close to the border, then finished the drive - and I was so happy to stop - because then I knew I could lay down and take a nap - which is exactly what I did.
This evening I made dinner - hamburgers on Lauren's new propane grill - and cut up vegetables: yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, and red bell peppers. I used the side burner of the grill and cooked everything outside. The rain cooled the temperature down some and it was a nice mellow evening - and the food came out just like I had wanted it to.
On Thursday I reached the year mark of me not having a day job. It's been quite a wild year - full of ups and downs and I've been very fortunate to have so many people supporting what I do - especially my family. It would have been nice to win that Emmy - as sort of sign of the past year - and the years before too - but oh well - next time. I am looking forward to getting back eventually to LA - and then I'll be off the road for a while.
yours truly,
Jeremiah

Photobucket
Chicago
Photobucket
My friends from LA, Dafni and Pete - outside of the Horseshoe in Chicago
Photobucket
The Museum of Science and Industry - and the former Fine Arts building from the 1893 World's Fair
Photobucket
Chicago and Lake Michigan from the south at Burnham Park
Photobucket
Another shot of the museum
Photobucket
The Southgate House in Newport, KY - and my name is there on the marquee
Photobucket
Dinner tonight in Nashville

No comments: